As a side project for work I built an apparatus for displaying the status of our software builds.
The Build-Neko is intended for use with the Jenkins Continious Integration Server (http://jenkins-ci.org/
) using the shell script at the end of this article.
It has been built using the following components:
- An Arduino Uno Clone called “Baduino”
- A compatible ethernet shield
- A tiny servo and a custom-made shield for the servo
- Two WS2812b RGB LEDs
- A serial OLED-Display (128×64 pixels)
- A cheap plasic cat
- Two ultra-cheap plastic diamonds 🙂
After almost two years absence from my blog (sorry my studies ate up most of my freetime) I am back :).
Here is a little project I built, a teapot-warmer made from old CPUs (an old Intel Pentium Pro and 4 CPUs from old HP storage units).
The CPUs are simply soldered together and put atop a carved block made from pine wood.
The design is a bit flawed, with a tea candle it does not only keep the tea warm, it reheats it.
Recently I’ve experimented with installing Hardened Gentoo Linux on a encrypted partition of my hard disk.The System boots Windows 8 which recides on the second partition of my hard drive (the first partition is reserved for EFI). This installation uses the native Windows 8 bootloader.
The Gentoo Linux itself resides in the third partition of the harddrive encrypted with cryptsetup (using luks with aes-cbc-essiv:sha256). The disk contains no unencrypted information (except the partition type 83 🙂 ).
In order to boot the Gentoo Linux, the boot partition was put on an USB-Stick, containing grub2, the kernel and an initramdisk which can decrypt the partition on boot and chroot into the system using.
The system works fine, the only problem occurs when you have to install a new kernel from within this system. grub2-mkconfig refuses to install because it can’t read the canonical path of the root partition.
/usr/sbin/grub2-mkconfig: error: failed to get canonical path of /dev/mapper/root. To cheat around the problem I symlink /dev/mapper/root to /dev/dm-0 every time I need to install a new kernel, which allows me to create a new config for my grub, still this is a dirty fix. If anybody knows how to fix this, feel free to comment.
ln -s /dev/dm0 /dev/mapper/root
The upcoming episode of Lebercast will be about SDR – Software defined radio. For this episode I built a 137MHz turnstile antenna based on this howto (links to a German page) for use with a standard DVB-T stick which is equipped with a Realtek 2832 chipset. The goal of this project is to decode weather images provided by the NOAA satellites using gnuradio and gqrx for signal recording and atpdec for converting these signals into images. For tracking satellites there is a tool called gpredict which shows you many available satellites on a world map.
Unfortunately the current state of the project is not satisfying yet. The only package that compiles out of the box on an unstable gentoo system is gpredict. The pakages of gqrx and gnuradio can’t be compiled without unmasking boost 1.53.0 and boost-build 1.53.0 by adding
to your local /etc/portage/package.unmask. Afterwards you have to add
net-wireless/gqrx ** to your /etc/portage/package.keywords. (HINT: If you are interested in the planes flying above you, you might want to do the same for net-wireless/dump1090.)
Turnstile Antenna interior
Afterwards you should be able to compile gnuradio and gqrx allowing you to record these signals. Unfortunately you still need to build atpdec, which isn’t part of the gentoo repository, yourself. To do so grab the code, untar it, compile it and you are ready to go.
In theory you should be able to decode if you tracked the right satellite etc. Until now I only got a bunch of nice white noise images so far, it seems either the setup is bugged at some point or I picked a bad spot for receiving the satellite communication. I hope I am able to fix this till Wednesday.
For our managers birthday some colleagues and his friends decided to buy him a hellboy costume. Two other colleagues and I decided to add a decent pistol and a fitting holster to the present. We bought a Nerf Strong arm and I spent a couple of nights dismantling the gun and repainting it. This was the result, I think its a pretty neat gun.